Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Morning Meeting Classroom Activity: Name Six

Name Six is one of those activities that seems so simple yet can be a challenging and worthwhile activity for your students.


The Object:

Name six things that fit inside of a category before time runs out.

How I Run It:

With the students seated in a circle in the center of the room I have one student sit on the floor in the middle of the circle. The person seated in the middle is the one who must name the six things. The rest of the circle acts as a timer by passing around an object: marker, ball, toy or any other object you have handy. 

I name the category and then pass the object. The student in the center of the circle must name their six things before the object comes back around to me.

Ideas for Categories:

Stores in the mall
Presidents
Animals on a farm
Car brands
Hotels
Books
Authors
Colors

Why I Like It:

This activity can be adapted to each individual and to any age or grade. I also like the fact that it is a great way to encourage quick thinking and speaking in front of a group. The activity also leads to great discussions about pressure and the feeling of a looming deadline.