Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Getting the Ball Rolling

I am anxiously awaiting the start of the new school year. I am enjoying the summer no doubt but am excited for the new year to start.

I always start the year with a few activities to get the ball rolling....some team building things and ice-breaking types of games.

So here are my two basic strategies:
1. Start with a Book - Whole Group Read Aloud
I usually try to pick one that I have multiple copies of making it more of a "Shared Reading"

Suggestions:
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
Crash
Because of Winn Dixie

I like these books because they are quick reads that lend themselves to good thematic discussions and leave room for assessment and establishing literature circles in the classroom.

2. Do some ice-breaker games.... a quick Google search will yield more than enough to start your year but I have a few favorites that I will be detailing in a later post.

Until then.....get your pencils sharpened!